Friday, February 8, 2008

Unions Are for Idiots

Here is an article worth reading.
www.nationalpost.com/todays_paper/story.html?id=291546

It reminds me of my own experiences with labor unions. When I was still going to school and trying to earn some money at a summer job in construction the union went on strike for 6 weeks. Of course I was also out of a job. After the 6 weeks they settled for a 5 cent increase per hour.

Let's do the math. 40 hours per week at 5 cents an hour equals $2. We were getting paid at that time $1.50 per hour or $60 per week. The wages lost for the 6 weeks we were on strike cost us $360. Therefore we would have to work more than 232 hours just to get the money back we had just lost. Actually it was more than that because our union deductions were a % of our wages so they went up as well.

Now, I was only 16 years old at that time but it didn't make much sense to me then. It also made a life long impression on me that the union really didn't care about the working man and their problems. All they were interested in was their own cushy jobs and power.

No comments: